What you eat affects how you look, how you feel, and the quality of your skin. One way to enhance your skin care routine is to give your diet a facelift. With these 5 simple rules:
1. Add in omega-3 fatty acid rich foods. Omega-3 rich foods help keep skin firm, radiant, and glowing.
a. The top omega-3 seafood: wild Alaskan salmon, salmon (canned), anchovies, sardines, herring, sable/black cod, trout, and rainbow trout (farmed).
2. Drink at least 8 cups of water daily. Adequate water intake helps keep your skin hydrated and supple.
3. Include snacks rich in antioxidants in your daily diet. Antioxidant rich foods such as berries help minimize oxidative damage (aka. Aging), and keep you, and your skin looking and feeling young. a. Cantaloupe is a particularly good example of skin food. It is rich in protective antioxidants and also very hydrating for the skin.
4. Don’t over do the salt, sugar, and caffeine. Too much salt can cause bloating and sugar and caffeine contribute unnecessary stress to your system, bit by bit depleting your body’s stores of vitamins and minerals. Keeping these food related stresses to a minimum will help keep you and your skin young and vibrant.
a. Trade out your coffee for green tea, which is rich in polyphenols and skin protective antioxidants.
5. Stress doesn’t look good on you. Whether your stress is food related, environmental, or physical, overdoing it will start to take its toll on your body, your mind, and particularly your skin.
a. Be mindful of your choice of soaps, detergents, cleaning supplies, lotions, and skin, hair and body products. Going natural can make a difference. Check out the skin deep cosmetic database for more information of the safety of your household and beauty products.
b. Try some deep breathing techniques. Here is a tutorial I recommend from Dr. Andrew Weil. It is a great way to start the day, wind down, or just take a moment to regain your composure when you start to feel overwhelmed.
While these 5 rules are beneficial in keeping your skin young, vibrant, and healthy using a skin care routine regularly only boosts the benefits of eating an antioxidant rich skin healthy diet. For more information contact us.